Saturday, March 3, 2007

Blog #4 The Lure of the Link

About two hours ago, I started reading the article listed on Squidoo for Week 2: On the 2.0 Job Description (Part 2): LIS Students in a 2.0 World. Along the way, I decided to explore all the links. This took me to Michael's Facebook account and Heidi's blog at http://www.heidigoseek.com/ . (Can anyone tell me what a geocache is?) I started out considering the problem of incorporating all this new technology phenomena into LIS classes. (I do think it should be a part of pretty much every class we take).

But the next link got me thinking about how to use this stuff in a library website. I went to
the St. Joseph County Public Library the St. Joseph County Public Library, where I explored the Subject Guides (Geneology, among others), Kid's Space, TeenNet, and Game Blog (watched two UTube videos). The site is very easy to navigate and it's pretty intuitive. (Also visually well-designed). I bookmarked it to show to my supervisor at work. They're redesigning our Kid's Space on our website. Of course, I was thinking of our web page assignment and all I'm learning about that. But I was also considering how blogging, using comments, and video were seamlessly used. It didn't even seem like I was using anything new. This is a really good example of how to incorporate web 2.0 tools into a site in a non-threatening way. (Here I spent a good 15 minutes digesting.)

From there, I somehow got to Thoughtful Advocates: An ALA TechSource Interview with ILA's Robert Doyle and my thoughts then went to the legislation Michael told us about that has to do with libraries that accept e-rate money having to block all social networking sites. What a can of worms!

Hey, it's 11:15 p.m. I'll have to finish this tomorrow.






1 comment:

Heidi said...

And the link brings me to your blog too :)

Thanks for visiting my site!

By the way, geocaching is a sport that my husband and I participate in where we use a GPS device to find specific locations set all over the world by other players. These locations vary in difficulty, although generally they're in parks and public areas. There's always something hidden at that location, either small enough to make it challenging or large enough to trade items with other players. It's a fun way to get out of the house :)